Monday, May 30, 2011

Sayonara (1957)

This movie was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, and won 4 of those nominations. I give the movie 3 stars. Brando was okay, as was James Garner. Red Buttons was fantastic. The story is hard to believe for me. From what I have read about the Vietnam and Korean war, I don't give the American GI's that much credit when it comes to romancing Japanese and Korean women. This movie was based on American soldiers behaving respectful towards the women. I just don't picture it that way, I picture more the norm at that time a bunch of solidiers committing one night stands and a bunch of illegitimate children left as a result of bad decisions.

I worked with a girl who was won of those children. My friend was in the Navy and told me all about the one night stands over seas. I am not saying this story couldn't happen, I just have a hard time believing that all war time relationships were this cordial.

I am puzzled why Brando tried pulling off a Tulsa, Oklahoma accent, it just didn't work for me. This film is just okay for me.

No comments: