Friday, May 6, 2011

Call Northside 777 (1948)

As I was scouring Netflix for a good movie to watch, I stumbled upon this little gem with James Stewart.

This is a film about an innocent man who was fingered as a cop killer during the Prohibition era. He was sentenced to life in prison, but his loving mother always stood by his side, knowing that he was innocent. The Chicago Times stumbles upon this story and young McNeal (Stewart) is given the task of covering the story eleven years later.

In the typical fashion McNeal believes the guy is guilty, but over time changes his mind to see that he is in fact innocent. This movie is based off of actual events. It was filmed in an interesting fashion, in that it was part documentary, and part acting (personally this was not pulled off well, at least not like This is Spinal Tap). Jimmy Stewart was good, but that is about all this film had going for it.

Please forgive my inability to gain interest in this movie because it had to use top of the line technology for its day, but to watch it now, with our technology, it was painful. If I could have gotten over that little problem, this would have been a stand up and cheer ending. This is a feel good movie, but not anything else. I give it 2.5 out of 5.

I almost forgot this point but I love the title of the movie. It bring a warmth to my heart, but you will have to see the movie to understand it.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I won't waste my time