Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

I added this movie to my NF instant queue because I saw it was a John Huston directed "NOIR" film nominated for four Oscars, and the fact that it was a heist film. I LOVE any kind of heist film, I have probably seen almost every heist films I have ever come across that isn't rated R. I don't even care if the bad guys get caught or get away, I just like those types of movies.

I had not idea Marilyn Monroe was in this film until she appeared in a scene about 30 min into the movie. She doesn't have a big part, maybe 10 minutes total she is on screen. This movie was made the same year that MM had a bit part in "All About Eve". So she really wasn't a start yet, but you could sure tell in this movie that she was headed that way, just something about her.

The movie was okay- I will give it 3 stars. Some good acting and some not so good acting. I liked the ending. I would only watch this if you like heist films or NOIR films. I thought it was cool that I recognized a young James Whitmore (he plays the old man in Shawshank Redemption), after reading about him on IMDB I found out he was nominated for two academy awards during his career, I never knew that.

As with any heist film, best laid plans go South when something goes wrong during the execution of the heist, although this one was not predictable.

No comments: