Monday, March 28, 2011

On the Waterfront (1954)

First of all, any movie with Marlon Brando and Karl Malden in it cannot be bad (A Streetcar Named Desire). This is a story of corruption and mob mentality on a waterfront docking union. Terry Malloy (Brando) gets caught up in the romance of working with the mob as an inside man, due to his brother being number two in the union. A cat and mouse chase ensues, intermixed with romance, fighting, murder, and deception, with good winning out in the end. Brando is probably best known for his line "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender."
This is a good movie that will make it onto my top 100 list. As a side note, this was Eva Marie Saint's first movie on the big screen.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I agree, I knew as soon as I watched this movie it would be in my top 100. I like it a lot better than streetcar named desire. Mutiny on the Bounty is next up on my netflix, and that is a Brando one, actually it has been made many times but the Brado version is supposed to be the best.