Friday, March 18, 2011

Dr. Zhivago (1965)

This is a bonifide 4 star movie. I made it through all 192 minutes. For the middle hour, I was convinced this was going to be a 5 star movie and make my top 100 list. I changed my mind because I did not like the last hour of the movie as much as the first two hours, and I didn't care for the ending of the movie meaning the last 20 min.

This work has so much to offer- a wonderful scenery of war torn Europe (specifically Russia) during WWII, a great love story, wonderful characters, great acting, etc. The script was so good that it required me to rewind the movie a few times to actually catch what the character was saying because there were times where there was some deep dialogue going on that really was fascinating.

Rod Steiger who was incredible in the movie "in the heat of the night" and won an oscar for it, was just as good in this movie. Omar Sharif & Julie Christie were great together. I love how the movie portrays -40 degree weather so well that I think I actually was cold watching this movie and had to get a blanket.

I thought it was funny to see "Obi Wan" from the first Star Wars movie playing a role in this movie as commander Yevgraf. Geraldine Chaplin turned in the weakest performance in the movie, everybody else was great. I need to do some more reading online about this movie, there were 2-3 parts where I was really confused and I still don't understand everything that happened. This is a great movie and I would recommend sticking with it. It did take me 3 nights to watch it. I loved how they filmed the part of them living in the train as they were traveling, it seemed so realistic.

2 comments:

Ryan Lambert said...

I just read a few different summaries online, wow the book has a lot more to it than the movie. If they put everything in the movie it would have been 5 hours long! It did help me understand the movie better after reading the book summaries, becuase my goodness they skipped over some stuff in the movie that would have helped me understand it better!

Adam Pfaff said...

I will add this to my list, I enjoyed Alex Guiness, and Omar Shirif in Lawrernce of Arabia.