Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The last three Bogart movies I have watched were all gems, so I was excited to finally get to this one. Unfortunately it was a let down for me. Bogart's character is a slick, quick on his feet private detective named Snead. He gets involved with a bunch of crooks as they try to chase down a gold statue (The Maltese Falcon) which has been eluding people for centuries. No one seems to know where it is. The ending is disappointing. A 2 star film. Bogart does a nice job playing his role, but everyone else seems to just be watching him and saying their lines when it is there turn, no one seems to be acting. I expected more from director John Huston. This film is supposed to be one of the best film noir detective movies, I just couldn't get into it.

Even though I didn't like this film, I am not giving up on Bogart. I have another on of his in my queue. However...up next for me is Audrey Hepburn in "How to Steal a Million."

No comments: