Wednesday, July 20, 2011

One, Two, Three (1961)

This is a Billy Wilder directed film about a Coke-a-Cola executive working in West Berlin. The executive is played by James Cagney who is given the task of babysitting the CEOs seventeen year old daughter. Well, the daughter runs off and marries a communist from East Berlin, and that is when the real fun begins. Cagney must make his boss believe that the boy is from a good aristocratic family, but he boy fights all of the capitalistic ideas.
I enjoyed watching this film, and laughed out loud several times. I grew up during the end of the cold war, but I can appreciate some of the propagandas that were spewed back and forth from the USA and the USSR. There are some very stereotypical images and slogans cast around in this film. I also enjoyed the simple references to other James Cagney films, (such as the smashing of the grapefruit in the side of his girlfriends face in The Public Enemy).
I read that James Cagney had such a negative experience filming this show that he did not act for over twenty years after it. What a shame, I really think that James Cagney is a superb actor. This will not make the list, but if I had a top list for comedies this would be on it. A good watch for people who can understand the cold war propaganda (our kids would not get the humor).

No comments: