Friday, July 22, 2011

Indiscreet (1958)

The last 30 min of this movie is 5 stars all the way. The first hour is a typical romantic storyline. The movie is amazing because it is showcasing two great performers- Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Stanley Donen directs (Singing in the Rain).

I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys witty romantic comedy's, especially if you are a Grant fan.

The plot is simple- Bergman finds out that Grant's front of being married is false. He tells women he is separate from his wife and can't get divorced. This of course allows him to leave relationships whenever he wants to, and of course the lady that has fallen head over heels for him understands, because after all he is married. Everything turns on him when she finds out he is single. I laughed out loud during some of my favorite lines of the movie-

Anna- "How dare you make love to me and be a married man"

Phillip- "There is no sincerity like a woman telling a lie"

Anna- "This is a very diplomatic matter, I don't want you putting your foot in it. Phillip: I deal with diplomatic matters every day without feet.

I love the part where the butler and his wife say back and forth to each other "you are a coward" "I am a coward" "you should be ashamed of yourself" "I am ashamed of myself".

I also like it when Cary Grant says "It is a fallacy in literature works that women are the superior gender when it comes to romance" Cary Grant's dancing is worth watching the movie! Funny stuff.

Cary Grant humor isn't for everyone, but man that guy is so smooth with his lines that you almost miss a lot of his dry wit comedy. I loved this movie and may be putting it on my top 100 list. Next up for me is African Queen with Hepburn and Boghart.

By the way, I can't find a trailer on youtube for you, sorry.

No comments: