Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Train Robbers (1973)

I added this to my queue because I had read it was one of John Wayne's better films during the last ten years of his career. I also knew that Ann Margret was in it, and I have always liked her.

I can't find a trailer for this one, but it was a fun 3.5 stars for me. I loved the ending in particular.

Ann-Margret plays Mrs. Lowe, a widow who wants to clear her dead husbands name. He had worked alongside 10 other men and stolen a million dollars from Wells Fargo. 7 of those men are still alive, and Mrs. Lowe hires Lane (John Wayne) to take her to where the gold is before the other 7 get there first. Apparantley all 10 men had hidden the gold and then promised to go back and get it later on when the law wasn't after them. Mrs. Lowe has a son, and she wants her son to know that the honest thing to do is turn the stolen gold in. She promises to give the $50,000 reward money that Wells Fargo is offering to Lane and his crew.

Lane hires some of his old war buddies, who have also pulled off a few heist jobs with him in the past. Mrs. Lowe insists coming alongside the crew, in fact she won't tell anyone where the gold is because she doesn't trust them, so she has to come along.

This is a great western for a number of reasons- great shoot outs, a fun romantic tension between Wayne and Margret, and one of the best endings to a Western that you will ever see- it really suprised me. Oh and Ann-Margret looks great in this one.

No comments: