Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Hustler (1961)

I hated this movie.

I started this film a couple of weeks ago (the disk was skipping…it is now an instant watch on Netflix), and I loved it. The marathon pool match between Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats was fantastic. Gleason and Newman were amazing actors, and I had high hopes for the movie; enter Piper Laurie and the movie was ruined. Many people enjoyed her performance, but for me it was very flat and uninspiring. I guess I just didn’t care about her, so I found no depth with her.

From the first forty minutes of the film I thought it was going to be a lot of pool when in fact it was just another show about the decline of human decencies. Newman, Gleason, and Scott all gave superb performances but I will never waste my time with this show again. 2 out of 5 for me.

No comments: