Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Andersonville Trial (TV 1970)

As I was looking for an instant movie to watch of George C. Scott’s I ran across this movie. He did not act in this one, but he was the director. It is a play, and the movie feels like it (the visual appearance of it is just like a soap opera). With that aside it was an interesting watch.

William Shatner played the Judge Advocate for the Union. Buddy Ebsen and Martin Sheen had bit roles in the play as well. This is the trial of Confederate Captain Henry Wirtz who was one of the leaders over the horrors that took place at the Andersonville compound in Atlanta Georgia. Witness after witness come in and explain more and more of the horrors that were allowed to take place there.

I liked this from the perspective that it was a play and not a movie, so the acting and angles were that of a play. If I went to the movie theater to see this I would have been angry, but if I would have gone to a theatre to see this I would have been well pleased. It is an interesting watch for a historic perspective, but nothing else.

No comments: