Monday, October 17, 2011

Double Indemnity (1944)

This is just what the doctor ordered. I have been very busy lately and tired at night which means I haven't watched a movie for a few nights. Then I sunk my teeth into this gem last night and loved every second of it. This movie was nominated for 5 Oscars, and is on TIME Magazine and AFI's top 100 movie list.

Talk about an amazing script. I loved how the writer and director (Billy Wilder) of this movie had the characters talking about other things but really they are meaning something else. It is one of my favorite things in a movie. For example if a character says "what time is the mailman coming" really they are saying "what time are we going to dinner". I know it sounds cheesy but it makes a big difference when the script is this good.

5 stars. Loved the entire movie. Edward G. Robinson has always been in my top 10 list of favorite actors. Fred McMurray plays a role that I am not used to seeing him in, and he nailed it. Barbara Stanwyck did a good job, but not great. If it doens't make my top 100 it will be because of her role. I am still thinking about it.

1 comment:

Adam Pfaff said...

Thank you for the recommendation, I will let you know what I think.