Monday, May 20, 2013

Love Story (1970)

Oliver Barrett IV (Ryan O'Neal) is a wealthy and successful law student at Harvard.  The only reason he is there is because of his father, he would rather be a hockey player.  He falls in love with Jennifer Cavalleri (Ali MacGraw) a poor music student.  Now enters in the dilemma of rich versus poor, but not in their minds, because they are madly in love.  Insert the vomit and nausea associated with this "love story" and all of the cliches that come along with it.  Frankly, it was just another way of telling the Romeo and Juliet story but with more of a feminist and free thinking storyline.  To say I was shocked and annoyed with the heavy language in this movie would be an understatement, honestly it was distracting.

Back to the story...they fall in love, get married, he loses his inheritance and goes to law school, she dies, he makes up with this rich father.  The American Film Institute has listed this movie as number 9 on their top 100 Passion Movies...unbelievable.  I felt no connection to either character because of the verbal volleyball that they constantly played with each other, it just felt tense.

I have spoken with people who saw this movie back when it came out and they told me that it made them cry and that they loved it; I am not sure what movie they were watching but it must have been a different one then I watched.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I saw this movie a few years ago and didn't like it- I must have saw an edited version because i don't remember the language. It was too touchy feely for me.