Monday, February 27, 2012

The Help

I see this movie for what it was- an excellent performance by Emma Stone, Viola Davis, & Allison Janney (who was discovered by Paul Newman BTW). I did not like Bryce Howard as an actress as she played Hilda Hollbrock. (Bryce is Ron Howards daugher)

I held off watching this movie for the same reason I haven't seen Kings Speech yet. I have a hard time enjoying movies that are over hyped.

I felt that given the time period the director chose (1960 & 61) it would have been a better movie to focus on some other elements that come from racial tension and hierarchy. I felt the movie shifted to focus on humor and getting revenge on the elite upper crust of white people (eating the crap cake).

With that being said the script was great and I give this movie 3 solid stars.

No comments: