Sunday, January 15, 2012

Better Off Dead (1985)

We have been doing some remodeling in our front room and dinning/kitchen area lately.  Everyone in our neighborhood can see into our house and see that we are a mess right now.  Well, one of those great neighbors saw this and invited our family over to her house for dinner.  The conversation soon turned to movies and I asked her, if you were to be stranded on an island and could only take one movie with you to watch what would it be?
Better Off Dead, was her enthusiastic answer.  I knew that the movie was from the 1980's, but I told her that I had never seen it.  She informed me that it was a John Cusack movie, so silly me thought it was going to be another great 1980s movie...Boy was I mistaken.
Lane Meyer (Cusack) is a teenager who is obsessed with his girlfriend Beth, but unbeknownst to him Beth is obsessed with the Captain of the ski team.  Across the street from Lane is a foreign exchange student from France who is obsessed with him.  Things get teenage romantically complicated, and Lane challenges the ski captain to a race to win back his girlfriend.
Well, things go from good, to bad, to worse quickly.  The only saving grace in the film were the two Asian guys who were constantly challenging Lane to a car race, while speaking like Howard Cosell (FUNNY!!)  To tell you the truth if I was stranded on the island with this neighbor, only being able to watch this movie, I would try and swim to safety.
Not a classic 80s movie, 2 stars.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I agree with you on this one, I have seen the movie 2 times. I love the asian dudes but feel the movie is very slow and only a few times did I laugh out loud. I would give it 2.5 stars so we are the same on this one.