Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Prize (1963)

I made it to film #55 on my quest to watch all of Paul Newman's movies. This one was exremley hard to find. Somebody finally loaded it on youtube, I had to pay $3 to watch it but who cares. I only have 6 more movies to go.

This is an Alfred Hitchcock type movie staring Paul Newman, and older Edward G. Robinson, and a very attractive Elke Sommer (this is the first film I have ever seen of hers).

The setting is Stockholm Sweden. The rich and famous have gathered for the annual presentation of the worldly nobel prizes in many categories- literature, medicine, etc. Newman plays a drunk nobel prize winner who starts to investigate a murder and some espinoge. It feels like a film noor movie, especially with Edward Robinson. I give it 2.5 stars.

No comments: