Saturday, August 20, 2011

The China Syndrome (1979)

Jack Lemon, Jane Fonda, Michael Douglas, and Wilford Brimley. Jack Goddell (Lemon) works as a shift manager at the local nuclear power plant. Kimberly Wells (Fonda) is an up and coming news reporter who is touring the plant one day. While watching the activities in the control room a tremor in the earth happens. They were forbidden to take video of the control room at all, but Richard Adams (Douglas) the cameraman secretly takes video of the reactions after the “accident”. Quickly this movie turns very anti-nuclear power, but the movie stayed interesting for me.
Goddell tries to convince his higher authorities at the plant that the plant is not safe to restart because the pumps are not working properly. In an effort to get the word out Wells decides to help him. I cannot say too much about the movie without giving too much of it away.
I loved the use of silence during tense and stressful times, this was done very artfully. Lemon and Fonda were very good in this, but I had issues with Douglas simply because he played too many rolls in creating this film and he pushed the anti agenda of the movie. For me this is a solid 4 star movie, for the period it was tense enough to make it a good thriller. I have heard many people compare this to the Poseidon Adventure in the level of suspense, but this was far better. Worth watching once.

2 comments:

Ryan Lambert said...

curious- did you add this because it was on my top 100 list? IT is a 5 star movie for me.

Adam Pfaff said...

I had put this movie off for so long. It was on TV the other night so I watched it; don;t get me wrong it is a good movie, it just had a few flaws for me to make my list.