Saturday, June 22, 2013

Yankee Doodle Dandee - 1942

James Cagney delivers a 5 star performance as he plays the lead role of a real life American hero- George M. Cohan. Nominated for 8 Oscars and took home 3- including best Actor for Cagney. I didn't know a lot about Cohan's life so I found the movie very informative as well as entertaining. My kids loved the music and I loved everything about this movie. I am sort of a sucker for any type of movie that depicts life for people on the Vauderville circut and portraying the ups and downs associated with theater circuits. I can only imagine all the rehearsals that it took to make this movie- thousands of dance steps, songs to learn, stage props, costumes, my goodness what a movie. 4.5 stars. Deserves to be on AFI's top 100 and it is, I am glad I watched it.

1 comment:

Adam Pfaff said...

I am glad that you liked this one, it is on my list. I absolutely love the music