Sunday, October 21, 2012

Somewhere in Time (1980)

Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour team up in this wonderful romantic science fiction show.  Reeves character Richard Collier is an up and coming stage writer who has just debuted a successful show at his college.  While celebrating a elderly Elsie McKenna approaches him, hands him a pocket watch and asks him to return to him.  Eight years later this moment is still playing a major role on his mind, and he is unable to focus on his writing, so he takes a trip to clear his mind and ends up at the Grand Hotel in Michigan (I have actually been to this hotel, but was unaware that is was made famous by this movie).

While waiting for the hotel restaurant to open that evening he walks into the hotel's museum and notices a picture of a stunning woman hanging on the wall.  He is drawn to this picture and begins to do research on her.  To make a long story short, he hypnotizes himself to travel back in time to 1912 to meet her.

Elsie McKenna is played by Jane Seymour, and she is a famous stage actress that is int he Grand Hotel to perform a roll.  McKenna and Collier find each other and a love story begins...I am sure that you have seen this movie, but this is the first time I have seen this, and I enjoyed it completely.  The soundtrack is wonderful, the acting is mediocre, but the story is strikingly romantic.  I will watch this movie again if given the chance. 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I have seen this movie multiple times because it was one of my dads favorite. I have always wanted to go to where it was filmed in Michigan- the hotel is still there. I also like this movie.