Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)

Throughout our lives we have many choices that we will make that will determine how our future will play out. Some of those decisions will lead to a tight family relationship; some will lead to prosperous professional careers, while others will lead you nowhere. I feel that the later choice was what was eating at Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp). The oldest brother of other siblings and an obese mother stuck in the tiny town of Endora. Not only was he stuck but he was committed to his younger brother Arnie (Leonard DeCaprio) who was mentally challenged. The film focuses on the comings and goings of this small town, but also around the family preparations for Arnie’s 18th birthday party. In the week leading up to Arnie’s birthday, we get an intimate glance into Gilbert’s relationships with those around him. You have probably seen this movie so I will end my synopsis of the movie there. However, I would like to express how much this movie has changed me as a person…let me back up a little bit, this movie has reminded me of how I should be as a person, and the change took place in my life in the autumn of 1999. I was living in a tiny town called Burney in Northern California, this town was very much like Endora, and the people of that town were a picture perfect portrayal in the movie. They were comfortable with their surroundings, and felt that anything that was outside of the norm was a free for all freak show. Racism, poverty, pomposity, and judging were normal behaviors for these people and they did not even try to hide these attributes. In fact, the Elder I was serving with told me that this town reminded him of the town in Gilbert Grape; at the time I did not understand his reference but I sure do now. We as members of the human race should be looking out for those around us and not just ourselves. Every character in this film needed help in one way or another, but the forgiving hearts we not to be found anywhere…man I have gone off of the deep end on this one… I felt that each performance in this film was deserving of recognition. I think that Leonardo DeCaprio should have received an Oscar for his performance! Five Stars for me on this one.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

this one has always been on my top 100 list and you promised me a long time ago that you would watch it so I am glad you did. The film is so good on so many levels, I am glad you enjoyed it.