Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

This is a period piece that will hit close to home for all war veterans and their families. I understand why this movie won 7 Oscars. I believe it is because of the nostalgic aspect of WHEN it was released. Of course stellar acting helped it along, with some big Hollywood names of that time period. Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright and Virginia Mayo. I felt Harold Russell did okay in his role as a double amputee, but not good enough to deserve the Oscar that he won. The characters seemed real to me. The plot was believable. I am still thinking about whether or not this movie makes it into my top 100 movies of all time spreadsheet. My wife watched it with me and she thought it was just okay. I will give it 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Adam Pfaff said...

I started watching this the other night on AMC, but fell asleep. That is not to say that I did not enjoy it, in fact I have Qued it on Netflix. As with you I felt the weakest performance was by Russell thus far. I will give a full review when I complete it.