Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Conspirator (2010)

I really like this era of American history. Recently, I have read two book pertaining to this era of Abraham Lincoln's presidency; first was The Manhunt, this was all about the assassination of the President and ensuing chase of John Wilkes Boothe, and the second book was called The Team of Rivals, which covered the cabinet and history of Lincoln's presidency. Both were well written and gave good insight into this movie.

After the death of Lincoln the new reunited country was in great mourning, and the leadership of the country wanted people to hang for this unspeakable act. John Surratt conspired with Booth to first kidnap, but than eventually murder the president. Most of the planning took place in his mom's boarding house, so the government thought she was part of the group that murdered the president, butchered the Secretary of State, and attempted to murder the Vice-President. (Trust me I am not giving anything away, it is all in well written history books.)

Young Franklin Aiken was given the task of defending Mrs. Surratt. Aiken was a veteran of the Civil War and did not like the task of defending a sworn Southern loyalist. As the trial ensues he changes his ideals.

I read somewhere that they actually took the transcripts of the trial and used them in the movie (do not hold me accountable to that fact, as I am not really sure if that is so). I enjoyed this movie 3 1/2 out of five. My only draw backs were for language that seemed out of place for the era, and the fact that they used familiar actors for the roles: James McAvoy, Alexis Bledel,Robin Wright, Justin Long, Kevin Klien, among others...I would have enjoyed unknown actors better.)

This is not a happy feel good movie, it ends like the Crucible, and not like Amazing Grace...read your history.

1 comment:

Ryan Lambert said...

I haven't heard much about this movie other than watching a clip of Redford talk about it. Watching the trailer you posted made me ache for the days when Robin Wright Penn looked like she did in her role as Princess Buttercup. Maybe the divorce to Sean Penn has aged her. Thanks for the review.